Formative: Did the project get implemented as planned?
My plan was to implement WebQuests and student created tutorials into my two remedial classes to help them better understand fractions. The implementation of WebQuests went over very well with the students. The students worked well with each other to accomplish each task and really took their time in each section. They have enjoyed completing the WebQuests and would now like to see them used more often in my classroom.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to fully implement the student created tutorials yet. Our study of fractions took longer than anticipated, and students did not come to my classroom with an understandings of creating tutorials. I have had to take class time showing individual programs. Though I feel it will be worth it in the end, it is something that we are continuing to work with. I will be placing the responsibility onto the students shortly, so that I can continue to teach other content in class. They will be finishing them up on their own time.
Summative: Evidence of success in addressing the problem of practice
I am seeing significant improvement in the students ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions. They are demonstrating that they are connecting fractions with real-life problems. I have seen significant growth in students applying their understanding of these concepts to story problems. My students are more engaged and also more likely to share their ideas with me and one another because of this project. It was a good activity to bring our class closer.
How would you approach another project of this type differently given what you’ve learned here?
I would approach a problem in my math class in much of the same manner. I see technology as a tool that can aid in student understanding and sometimes my own. I might however try to create my own WebQuest for topics in the future. In my search for additional materials, I have found a few WebQuest building sites. One in particular I found to be a great resource was Zunal WebQuest Maker.
What are the lessons learned that others might benefit from knowing about?
If I were going to pass on words of wisdom to others it would be, "everything takes longer than you expect." Unfortunately, I have been told this my whole life and it still has not quite sank in. I still am not sure when my student's tutorials will be finished and what quality they will be. You also need to be flexible. I was not expecting to teach technology in my math class, but I had to in order to accomplish my objectives.
In what ways will you endeavor to do the same project again, and what will you change or not do?
I will definitely be using this project next year and incorporating WebQuests into other units of study. I would however change one aspect of my project. I would change the students creating tutorials to having students create their own WebQuests. It seems silly, now that I look at it from an observers perspective, to have students studying and learning from WebQuests to begin with. Then, all of a sudden switching to having them make videos. I would also talk to the computer tech teacher, and see if this would be something that he/she would be willing to help out with in their class. That way my students are extending their understandings of the concepts being taught, but also allowing me to continue onto other topics in class. This would be a great team project in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment